Deciding on a fundraiser to work on for my nonprofit has been challenging for me. For real. I guess it's that unable-to-ever-make-a-decision thing coming back out. And it doesn't help that I still have not been able to establish any contact with the nonprofit. Ugh.
I am, however, playing with a few ideas. Well, at least for what my fundraiser would work toward.
What the fundraiser would actually be . . . well, let's not talk about that right now.
There are, of course, the always needed sewing machines for The Project. As far as I am aware they currently do not utilize fundraisers as a resource for sewing machines. I'm feeling like this might be a good way to get some advertising for the company while bringing in some needed resources. With the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy still being dealt with, I'm thinking this might be a good place for the proceeds to go - especially considering the Project's history with Hurricane Katrina victims.
Another option comes from the organization's wish to expand on their Sewing Shares program. In Madison, WI, where the organization is centered, this program offers locals the opportunity to use machines on loan. This aspect of The Project works with Bhutanese refugees in the area, as well, helping them learn skills and gain income. The Project asks its participants in this program to "Pay it Forward" by helping to teach and translate. The Project hopes to use the Sewing Shares program as a model in similar projects. A fundraiser focused on raising funds and other forms of resources to get such a project started would be in keeping with the nonprofit's mission, past endeavors, and future plans.
I'm playing with a few other ideas, but currently those are the two that I can make the most sense of. We will see where I stand after conferences on Tuesday. Things somehow gain so much clarity after talking to a professor. For real.
Knitwise (the campus knitting club) had a "Crafting For CASA" sale a few weeks ago. It was really successful; they raised over $700 in one afternoon with completely donated materials. They crafted during their meetings and then sold the products at this sale with all prices under $20.
ReplyDeleteSomething like that could be a good fit for your organization? Maybe not, it just came to mind with the textile work component.
I know what you mean! This fundraising project has been both intriguing and hair pulling. Hang in there! We can do this! :)
ReplyDelete