All the complaining I did about the fundraising project? Yeah, I take it back. This grant writing stuff is already more complicated.
I am amazed at how detailed some grants are when it comes to requirements. I thought I had found the perfect one the very first day we started researching in class . . . turns out, The Sewing Machine Project isn't quilty enough for quilt club (also known as the National Quilting Association). It's true guys; your mission statement is a huge deal.
So I'm back to square one. Got to get gettin' + find a grant that matches perfectly. Wish me luck!
In the meantime, The Awesome Foundation is, well, awesome. They're just a group of anonymous people who grant $1000 dollar grants to a cool idea of their choosing each month. Check it out!
I'm running into the same problem. The A21 campaign has a very broad mission statement and most grants are incredibly specific in what they will donate to. I'm learning to have immense respect for professional grant writers - this stuff isn't easy.
ReplyDeleteForget that quilting club! You don't need them! :) I really think that The Awesome Foundation might be a good fit for you and your non-profit. There is a huge trend of young people embracing the art and hobby of sewing, and The Awesome Foundation might find your project to be as awesome as you think it is. Keep your chin up!
ReplyDeleteI agree! You mentioned Amy Butler one day in class when we were discussing our fundraising projects. Her fabric is so trendy! I've seen many of her patterns at Anthropologie too. Sew, (so) yes, I agree with Savannah on young people embracing the art.
ReplyDeleteI wonder whether you might be able to like partner up with say, Blackbird Academy who offers sewing classes or just somehow do some partnership of some sort for a program to apply for a grant for?
Or I wonder if you made quilts using fabrics from thrift store purchases or donated materials--like make up-cycled or recycled quilts if you would then have more options like "green" or "eco-friendly" or "eco-innovative" grants...?? Like you could use sewing to reduce waste or conserve resources or something??
I would look up craft advocacy...
Good luck! I definitely think Nicolle's ideas are awesome. There have to be some project ideas just waiting out there!
ReplyDelete